I first tried baking this oatmeal cookies when one of my high school friend was breastfeeding. She told me about lactation cookies and we thought of doing business out of it. Unfortunately, with the geological distance, we decided otherwise.
But that did not stop me from trying these recipes out… 🙂 First batches I made I sent to my friend, she told me that it really was yummy and was effective. It helped boost her milk supply and our recipe tastes way better than the one ahe bought. 🙂
Since she baked her own cookies already and am not breastfeeding naman (how I wish!) I tried the recipe without the 2 lactating agents. It was yummy!
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 med sized egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour (you may also use 1/2 APF and 1/2 wheat flour to make it “healthier”)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (you may drop this if you are using salted butter)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup thick rolled oats
- 3/4 cups choco chips
- beat together butter and brown sugar (you may use whisk or electric mixer)
- beat in egg, do not over mix
- add in vanilla and set aside
- in a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
- combine everything (wet and dry)
- stir in (with a spatula) rolled oats and choco chips
- scoop the batter onto lined baking sheets
- bake for 10 to 12 mins in a preheated oven at 180 deg. C.
If you love peanut butter, you may also use above recipe, just drop the cinnamon and the chocolate chips and add 1/4 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of peanut butter (I prefer using the crunchy one for added texture). Last time I baked this, I still added 1/4 cups of choco chips. everything tastes better with chocolates, right?
For those who love ginger and Lemon, you may also use the same recipe as above, drop the choco chips and cinnamon, add 1/4 of white sugar, 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger, 1 tbsp lemon zest and 1/2 tsp baking powder. reduce the oats to 1 1/4 cups and add 1/2 cup of chopped roasted pecans. YUM YUM!! 🙂
If you’re interested in making lactating cookies, just add 1tbsp of flaxseed dilluted in 2tbsp of water in the butter mixture. Then add 3 tbsp. of Brewer’s yeast to the flour mixture. Oats also play a big role in lactation. Oh!! If you are curious about how these lactating cookies works… Check this out.. 🙂